Tuesday, February 24, 2009

All in the name....

"The greatest danger to liberty today comes from the men who are most needed and most powerful in modern government, namely, the efficient expert
administrators exclusively concerned with what they regard as the public good."
-- Fredrich August von Hayek



Public Good.

Help those that can't help themselves.

Give everyone an equal chance at the American Dream.

As a Christian I get asked how I can consider myself an Independent Conservative and not get behind these great social programs that the current administration is pushing.

Well, first of all, this is a world tainted by sin. A world that exists to try to pull a believer away from his belief. Nowhere did God say our lives here on Earth were going to be all roses and milk and honey. No, our treasure is not here, but rather where we go after we die. The American Dream was never promised, the chance to pursue it, was. If I never achieve the American Dream here, that is OK, because 'here' is a temporary situation.

Also, we have been told that if we do not work, we do not eat. For those that cannot work, the church is to take care of their needs.

Not government.

The church, through offerings given....offerings that are given by hard working Christians who give back to God in thanks for the gifts He has given.

So, if I want a society that allows me to be as fruitful as possible with the work that I do, which allows me to give as much as I can to the church - a free market, low tax, low cost government is what gives me the optimal society to grow my business.

And what about those social programs? Government programs are notorious for having people "abuse" the system. Independent Churches and their 'poor and needy' programs are notorious for not allowing people to 'abuse' the system. They are run by volunteers, and have low or very low operating costs, thereby giving as much directly to those that need the assistance. They can modify their program to the situation within their community, without any bureaucracy attached. Lastly, churches do not support programs or policies that are not consistent with my personal beliefs.

Public good... when the government starts talking about the 'public good'... freedom and liberty become secondary...

No comments:

Post a Comment